Geriatric Physiotherapy focuses on older adults, covering a wide range of issues concerning people as they go through life.
Common Conditions that may be treated are:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Risk and prevention of falls
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Rehabilitation following hip & knee replacements
How can geriatric physiotherapy help?
Geriatric Physiotherapy helps those affected with such problems by developing a specialised program that can:
- Reduce pain
- Improve sensation, joint proprioception
- Suggest assistive devices to promote independence
- Restore, increase or maintain physical strength, flexibility coordination balance, and endurance
- Teach transfers, positioning and gait re-education
Prevention of Falls
Falls are frequently common among the elderly due to the frequency of falls increasing with age and frailty levels. Falls occur as a result of a complex interaction with risk factors such as dizziness, extrinsic factors or by physiological conditions.
What evidence shows
- Exercise programmes for improving strength and balance can reduce the risk of falls as much as 54%
- It is possible to improve muscle strength and balance irrespective of age.