There are many different causes of knee pain at ALO Physiotherapy Clinic we help to identify the cause of the symptoms you are experiencing.
Tips if you have knee pain:
- Take pain relief – paracetamol or ibuprofen – if the pain is impacting your everyday activity and/or sleep.
- Use a heat or ice pack – for 5-10mins for pain relief. Ensure the pack is wrapped up to avoid damaging the skin.
- Reduce activities which are provoking the pain
- Get an assessment from a professional – there are many different causes of knee pain, so it is important to get the correct diagnosis, in order to know what treatments will help the most.
How a physiotherapist can help
- Assessment – We will ask you in detail about the symptoms and assess the biomechanics of how you move. We will test the function of the structures which may be affected by the pain eg. the ligaments, tendons, muscles, joints.
- Diagnosis – We will then diagnose the cause of the knee pain, this may include identification of a number of factors which have contributed to the pain starting.
- Treatment – We will then formulate a treatment plan and discuss this with you. Treatments will first be targeted at reducing pain and then rehabilitation to maximise functioning of the affected area. Treatments may include:
- Manual Therapy
- Rehabilitative exercise
Common causes of Kne pain
- Torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is a very common knee injury and is often the result of playing contact sports and overstretching or tearing the ligaments. It can cause pain and swelling and the inability to put weight on the leg.
- Patellar Tendonitisis an injury caused by overuse and can be a significant problem in athletes or runners. Often nicknamed “jumpers” knee it is irritated by repetitive movements which eventually cause pain and tension from the knee to the shinbone.
- Meniscus Injuriesare frequently caused by tears to the cartilage meaning people struggle to get up and move around, walk or even sleep. Meniscus injuries cause pain, swelling and stiffness to the knee and often happen during activites that put pressure on or rotate the knee.
- Patellarfemoral Syndrome or runner’s knee is a result of problems between the knee cap and the femur. The imbalance of the patellar causes pain and a scratching and grinding feeling within the knee.
Recovering from a full Achilles rupture. Started my work with Nina in feb and my progress has only been positive and upwards and I am almost at full speed again. Nina put me back together again almost from scratch. She is the best physio I have ever worked with and will again. Very knowledgable and very hard working. Can’t recommend enough.
What a great find! My orthopaedic surgeon recommended them and I can't rate Luigi, Gloria and the team more highly. Excellent service and very effective treatment- recovering nicely!
I am 84 years old, and have always been fit and healthy and exercised regularly. 3 years ago I underwent emergency surgery for peritonitis, and had a colonoscopy bag for 6 months and straight after surgery to reversal of the stoma. After this surgery I felt my legs very weak. To complete my drama, during the last summer I developed an abdominal hernia and had surgery for hernia repair. This made me even weaker specially at my legs. I have recovered but felt weak. I started my sessions at ALO Physiotherapy at the beginning of January, with the Vibra Machine combined with specific exercises. I have now recovered my body strength, particularly in the legs. I am now walking normally and without pain. I am delighted!
Great clinic with great people! I was so lucky to find this clinic and even more when I met Andre. He's a very talented therapist and a wonderful person who makes you feel comfortable every time. He helped me to resolve my back problems in few appointments and I will be always grateful to him! From my experience is the best clinic in London and I highly recommend them without any doubts!
One of the best physiotherapy centres in the world! The professionalism and knowledge of this centre amazed me.
I am so glad I found this clinic. Luigi has been amazing. After my 1st session I felt an improvement and now have ALOT more movement and significant reduction in pain. I couldn’t recommend this clinic & Luigi enough. So helpful and flexible whenever I have needed to amend appointments. Every one is fantastic. I will continue to come here for as long as I need.
Andre is the best physiotherapist I came across. As a dedicated martial arts practitioner, I regularly use his services. He has always managed to fix my various back and leg injuries. I would recommend Alo Physiotherapy to anyone who suffers from body pain.
Where do I begin? The journey has been too long with Andre Oliveira and ALO Clinic , as he helped me both physically and mentally to overcome an injury I had in both of my knees. A small injury , after following wrong treatment became chronic and I found myself unable to walk/stand/run and do the simplest things- the mental impact was worse. I was introduced to Andre by Eleftherios Pavlidis who runs Laertion in Athens. lefteris with his team were the first to accommodate the problem and told me what I need to do. As a Londoner, I was introduced to Andre and ALO Clinic, and the rest is history. Since February 2017 when I had the first session with Andre and he identified the biomechanic nature of the problem, along with the use of Tecar the results were visible after one month. Since then, along with personal effort and strengthening I did always guided by Andre, I the problem is restored and the pain is gone. I highly recommend ALO Physiotherapy Clinic , and Andre Oliveira for anyone who suffers from sport injuries , amateurs or professional top athletes.
Very professional staff and friendly environment. I felt a lot better after very first session. Appointment are easily available. I would definitely recommend this place